[Market-farming] Fwd: Conference - The Carbon Ranch: Using Food and Stewardship to Build Soil and Fight Climate Change

Nan Hildreth NanHildreth at riseup.net
Mon Oct 25 12:31:01 EDT 2010

Grass-fed meat production can restore pasture soils, sequester carbon
and help stabilize the climate, and make money.  The folks doing this
conference will help move our nation to active government support of
organic producers.

Nan Hildreth, Houston
713-842-6643
NanHildreth at riseup.net

"We transformed a system that in 1940 produced 2.3 calories of food
energy for every calorie of fossil-fuel energy it used into one that
now takes 10 calories of fossil-fuel energy to produce a single
calorie of modern supermarket food. Put another way, when we eat from
the industrial food system, we are eating oil and spewing greenhouse
gases."  The answer is to "resolarize" the American economy - which
means weaning Americans off their heavy 20th-century diet of fossil
fuel and put them back on a diet of ... sunshine. "If any part of the
modern economy can be freed from its dependence on oil and
successfully resolarized, surely it is food."  -  Michael Pollan, author