[Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices and Carrot Prices

Jay Sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 12:24:20 EDT 2010

I sell Haikuri turnips for $1.50 a bunch.  Not sure on weight, but 3 huge ones, 4 large, 5 medium, 7-8 small ones.  Huge is baseball sized and up, medium is a little bigger than golfball and small is anything that were pulled on accident.  Large marble up to golfball sized.

After I lowered to $1.50,  I have been selling out most weeks.

I have been selling carrots for the last month or longer and I am wondering about price.  Since I don't use any chemicals, sprays or fertilizer, I compare prices to organic carrots at supermarkets. They have 6 carrots for over $2.00 each.

I started out at $2.00 a bag. The bag was a pound.  12-14 carrots.  They didn't sell.  I can't leave the tops on, packing limitation, but I do leave about an inch of green on the top.  Now I bag up half pound bags, more work, for $1.00 a bag and I have been selling out all the time.

Strange, but price has been a very touchy thing this year for me.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More

Clay Center, Kansas

www.jaysjellies.com