[Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Fri Oct 22 12:07:45 EDT 2010

A vendor was selling teenage chard loose for $7/lb.  My bunches are about
3/4 lb and sell for $2.50 to $3, depending on how much is available, and
location (less at home, more at market).  Beets are $3/bunch, and I make my
bunches fairly large - 2 huge, 3 quite big, 4 medium large, on down to 8
small (1 1/2 inch).  At the grocery store recently $3 bunches were 3
mediums.

I did grow collards last year and had an old southern-boy customer, who did
not buy my bunches.  I asked him what how big a "mess" of collards was and
he wanted 5 of my bunches (15 stems) for the price of one bunch.

These price discussions are incredibly valuable to me.  I am blessed with
two high end markets an hour away, but am looking to market closer to home
and the price ranges provide both reality check and encouragement (depending
on the price).

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com <http://rhomestead.com/>
Become a Fan on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rehoboth-Homestead/261550161286>

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe

  _____