[Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8

Pamela Crowe sustainableharvestsc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 21:24:50 EDT 2010

I am Zone 8 in SC near the coast. I grow year round and only last year did I
wish for a hoophouse with the once in a 100 year snow and cold. There are
several farmers here who do the same. History has been one used a hoophouse,
the others just used row covers once in a while. All of us are on the grant
program and have either gotten or about to get hoophouses. Personally, I
will continue to grow lettuces, carrots, beets, turnips, etc. outside and
use the hoophouse for other items like cukes that need a slightly warmer
environment. The farmer with the hoophouse had some severe heat
issues---inside rising to easily 120---in the middle of the winter with
heavy sunshine and little breeze. His spinach wilted, etc. He has double
plastic on the house. He is now going to start growing some of this outside
from now on. However, he was able to get strawberries and tomatoes out a lot
faster than the others without come spring. Not sure if this rambling
helped, but wishing you prosperity.

Pam
SC