[Market-farming] Harvesting Bok Choy

Jay Sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 11:34:51 EDT 2010

I am needing some advice on how to harvest, pack and transport Bok Choy.  I have big, beautiful heads of Joi Choy, Bok Choy from Johnny's.  The problem is they say pick and let it wilt down and then pack them.  In the fall, I don't get to pick anything until after 4:30-5:00.  There is very little sun left to "Wilt" them. I picked and took them in the house to "wilt" but that didn't work very well either.

The leaves are so brittle, that they end up breaking and it looks like I ran over them with a lawn mower. I pack them individually in bags, sometimes two to a bag, they are refridgerated and put them in my coolers to go to market the next morning.

I saw some in the stores and they had all the leaves looking good, mine not so much.  They taste great and they sell ok, I just think the apperance of the leaves are hurting me.  Any ideas? or am I just trying too hard to have picture perfect produce?

BTW, here is a link to a picture of one ( probably the best looking one too!)

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss315/jrslick/Fall%20Garden/?action=view&current=IMG_4255.jpg

Thanks!

Jay

Loving this California Weather 75 for highs 40's for lows!

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More

Clay Center, Kansas

www.jaysjellies.com

http://highfarming.blogspot.com/