[Market-farming] Garden covering

waldenfarm waldenfarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 10:21:59 EDT 2010

Roy,

Sounds like a real challenge there!

What we tend todo/have been trained to do, is respond to challenges by
coming up with ways to force our will on the situation and "make it right."
I know this well because I've spent many years "fighting" my way through
these. It took many years to put together enough info and analysis to come
to the conclusion that I needed to work with what I had- to understand my
soil, plants and growing situations. And then to blend in, become a part of
the land and not the master over it. Does this make sense?

But enough Zen. How about applications?

To start, we need to know about the soil texture(s) of our farms. Soil
texture is the relative amounts of sand silt and clay. knowing this is the
key to soil management. You said you have a "heavy clay loam". Clay loam
soil is a soil that has up to 25% clay, 30- 50% silt and the rest sand. If
you're not sure of the percentages of soil particles, you can consult your
county soil conservation office. They have soil maps that will give you a
good idea of the texture.

Once you know this, you know what you're working with. In soils with high
clay and high sand and/or silt content (mine is sand & silt with no clay)
organic matter (OM) becomes critical. In a relatively high clay soil, OM
makes the soil more porous and speeds up water movement through the soil.
(In sandy/silty soils, it makes retains water which drains fast in this type
soil.) I recommend that people with these soils add OM from compost, etc.
until their OM percentage reaches 7 to 8%. This can be done over time. Also,
add the OM material to the surface or mix into the top 2 to 4 inches. Don't
do as people used to say- "Bury or mix it in as deep as you can." The
aerobic soil life, especially in a clay soil, is concentrated in the top few
inches. That's who uses this as a food source and builds a stable soil
structure that "opens up" a clay soil.

As far as tillage, It is necessary (and difficult) in a clay soil. I would
use a chisel plow or pasture renovation knives if you don't have the
horsepower for chisels. (If you have a rototiller, start using it just for
surface cultivation- to knock down weeds and chop & mix in cover crops just
deep enough to incorporate them in the soil. You already have an
understanding of when to do tillage, based on moisture content.

Another thing to consider is going to a bed or wide row system. That way you
can put your OM only where you'll be growing and you can cut down on
tillage.

The next thing is to get an understanding of soil structure (soil life
creates this) so you will know when & when not to do tillage. The best way
is to look at a soil like yours that has good structure and compare it to
yours. That's the only way I could get it into my head.

Minerals- If you need to add calcium, use gypsum instead of lime. Also, work
towards shifting your Magnesium level to the low end of the Ca-Mg balance.
Mg is "sticky" and adds to the "tightness of a clay soil.

This may seem burdensome and parts (or all) hard to understand, but
appropriate soil management is of prime importance in any agricultural
system. The more you know, the better you can manage, as in any system. Your
county soil office and the NRCS are good sources for info, Also ATTRA.

Good luck and good farming!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Waldens Ridge, TN