[Market-farming] seeding onions

Chrys Ostrander chrys at thefutureisorganic.net
Mon Oct 11 12:21:42 EDT 2010

  Marie,

I don't do the following presently, but I once worked on a farm where
their method for seeding plug trays was pretty efficient.

This method required pelleted seed. These folks used standard flats and
had made wooden frames that held two flat pieces of sheet metal, one
right on top of the other, with holes drilled into them that matched the
spacing of the plug flat they were seeding (and were slightly larger
than each pellet). The pieces of sheet metal could be slid so that the
holes did not align. Then, pelleted seed was rolled around on top of the
top piece of sheet metal until one pellet dropped into each drilled
hole, like the children's game with the little metal balls. Then the two
pieces of sheet metal were slid so that the drilled holes aligned and
each seed dropped into a cell of the plug flat.

*Chrys Ostrander, Director of Farming Programs
p.e.a.c.h. Community Farms and Gardens*
People for Environmental Action and Community Health

*p.e.a.c.h. Community Farm at Pine Meadow*
10425 S. Andrus Rd.
Cheney, Wa 99004
509-448-3066
chrys at thefutureisorganic.net