[Market-farming] Heating Greenhouse

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 08:37:31 EDT 2010

One of the farmers here did something similar to a
growhouse-within-a-greenhouse, but went several steps further.  He bought  some of those 4x8 sheets
of insulation from the home improvement stores, built a  lightweight frame
of those and 2x2's to create something of an insulated box,  hung a few
shoplights in it, and then put his growtrays inside.  Bottom  heat on the
growtrays provided enough warmth and the shoplights provided enough  light that he
starts a lot of his veggies that way.  Some variation on that  might work.
The only thing I didn't like about that approach was it was  sorta like a
chest freezer - you have to bend over to reach into it.  I'd  want something
I could walk into, but I shouldn't fault the design since I don't  even have
that much yet.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 10/11/2010 5:14:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,