[Market-farming] one of the problems with reporting on scientific issues NYTimes.com

Leigh Hauter bullrunfarm at hughes.net
Sun Oct 10 21:29:03 EDT 2010

Mike,

Maybe I'm misreading the nyt article but I noticed when a reporter
friend forwarded the article to me last Friday that besides the long
out take on how the reporter finds it interesting that the military
and private researchers are working together, that the article
actually doesn't say the virus and the fungus cause ccd.  (forget
what the headline says,  reporters don't write their own headlines
and quite often headline writers don't even understand the gist of
what the reporter is saying).  The article only goes so far to say
that in cases of ccd the virus and fungus pairing are often found in
the bodies of the dead bees.  This doesn't mean, by a long shot, that
those two things cause ccd.  It's much the same as jumping to the
conclusion in cases of people dying after receiving a bullet wound
that because the dead's body always contained a specific bacteria and
a specific virus that gun shots are caused by the two.

Something else could be the causing ccd.  Many European countries are
banning neonicotinoid  type pesticides particularly imidacloprid
because it too has a  connection with ccd. In this case the European
research has gone a step further than the research reported in the
Times, when bees do not come in contact with  imadacloprid or its
residue, they do not die of ccd.  That still doesn't prove that
imidacloprid causes ccd, though, but it comes a lot closer.

Leigh