[Market-farming] fall vegetable transplants

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Oct 10 17:17:22 EDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Leslie Moyer wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:28:02 -0500, kathleen timperley wrote:
>>>  Does anyone know where I can get fall transplants, like broccoli,
>>> to put in
>>>  my hoop houses?
>>>
> This was from a long time ago, but I was looking for something else
> in the archives and came across it.  Due to some other research I'm
> doing, I recently came across some answers to this question, so I
> thought I'd post them for other people in the future.
>
> There are commercially available vegetable transplants available
> from wholesalers.  Most wholesalers like this sell flowers, but some
> also sell some vegetables. These would be places that sell to retail
> nurseries, big-box hardware stores, farm stores, etc.  All of them
> require minimum orders, however some of their minimums aren't too
> high.  One near me, for example, has a minimum of only $250.
> Another, however, is $900. Others are even much higher. [ . . . ]

Talk to operations in your area that sell nursery plants and have
greenhouses. Many of these start some of the vegetable transplants
they sell. There are several retail nursery/greenhouse operations
within an hour's drive of me that will do custom orders of as little
as one flat or even 1/2 flat per variety with no minimum order (you
probably have to pick them up yourself, they may not be set up to
ship.) The cost per plant may be higher than from the big wholesalers,
but it's likely to be less than retail prices; and your actual cost
may be lower because of no minimum order or shipping charges. (Also,
the plants will be less stressed as they won't have been shipped; and
you may be less likely to bring in diseases from out of the area:
presuming of course that your local operation knows, and cares, about
what they are doing.)

The downside of this is that you need to talk to them before the
plants need to be started -- possibly far enough before the plants
need to be started that you can order the seed and get the seed to
them, as if you want something that they don't usually carry they may
want you to supply the seed. So this is probably too late for this
year -- but over the winter you could probably find someone who will
do this for you next year.