[Market-farming] Treating Garlic Seed

Nan Hildreth NanHildreth at riseup.net
Thu Oct 7 14:09:09 EDT 2010

Sorry, my mistake.  He soak whole clove in rubbing alcohol or 100
proof vodka for 3 to 5 minutes and then plant immediately.

Details of his advice. :

We soak the cloves for 15 to 30 minutes in a solution containing
liquid seaweed and some liquid humate if you have it available at the
rate of one tablespoon each per gallon of water. If there is any hint
of that black, sooty powder that often plagues garlic, we add a
tablespoon of baking soda to inhibit fungal growth. It seems to give
our garlic a good boost. If you have some garlic that doesn't look or
smell right and you suspect there's something wrong with it but you
insist on planting it anyway, you might try soaking it for 5 minutes
or so in rubbing alcohol. Alcohol seems to help overcome a great many
problems. For long term soil health, it is best not to plant anything
but healthy cloves.http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/wwinter.htm

The night before your soil is ready to plant, break bulbs apart into
cloves and soak the separated cloves overnight in water containing
one heaping tablespoon of baking soda per gallon (also adding a TBSP
of liquid seaweed, would be even better) or until clove covers loosen
around the cloves (about 16 hours). Just before planting, remove the
cloves from the water, drain and dip the cloves in a dish of rubbing
alcohol for 3 to 5 minutes, long enough for the alcohol to penetrate
the clove covers, and plant
immediately.  http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/growinst.htm

I then soak it in alcohol for a few minutes just before planting to
try to kill any unseen hitchhikers, like mites, stowing away between
the wrappers. One of the reasons to soal the garlic so long is to
loosen the clove covers so that the alcohol can penetrate the clove
covers and kill any mites lurking inside the clove covers.

If you plant garlic cloves that already have adult mites in them,
tucked in between the clove and the clove covers, they will eat the
surface layers of the cloves, they or their eggs will survive the
winter and reproduce all spring long and your next years crop will
perish. The best way I know of to deal with this problem is to soak
the seperated cloves in water overnight to loosen up the clove covers
and then soak the cloves for a few minutes in alcohol to kill the
adult mites at planting time. I don't know if the alcohol soaking
kills any eggs that may be present or not. In my experience,
contaminated garlic soaked like this does much better than
contaminated garlic not soaked.

These precautions may not get everything, but from my experiences and
experiments, they help a lot. For a few years during the 90s, I tried
various different preplanting soaking solutions and compared them to
cloves from the same bulbs that had no special treatment, just
planted. In every case, the treated cloves out-performed the
untreated ones in that they were larger and healthier. The ones that
did the best were the ones that had the most ingredients in the
soakings. The ones that were best among the ones that receives only a
single soaking were the ones soaked in alcohol. In another
interesting observation, some cloves were completely peeled while
others were left intact and they received the same soakings as the
others and in almost every case, the bare naked cloves out performed
the intact ones, from which I infer the presence of pathogens or
pests in the clove covers - but who has time to peel all those cloves?

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/diseases.htm

At 12:09 PM 10/7/2010, stonecirclefarm tds.net wrote:
>Why only the base, I wonder?
>
>On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Nan Hildreth
><<mailto:NanHildreth at riseup.net>NanHildreth at riseup.net> wrote:
>Dip the base of each bulb in alcohol just before planting says
>Gourmet Garlic Gardens, a Texas seed supplier.

>address and password):
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/market-farming

Nan Hildreth, Houston   713-842-6643
www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

Make Soil, End Global Warming

"We could end global warming if we restored the fertility in the
soils in the state of California."  Dr. Elaine Ingham, www.soilfoodweb.com

"...global warming can be reversed by restoring biodiversity in the
soils and in the ocean.  ... There is enough land to sequester this
carbon and it could be done in a decade or two. ... Now that the Oil
Age is coming to an end, we are entering the Soil  Age.
"  http://groups.google.com/group/soil-age

"... a 1.6% increase in organic content of soils humans manage would
restore atmospheric carbon dioxide levels to normal." says Allan
Yeomans in
http://www.youtube.com/user/AllanYeomans1#p/a/u/0/-o2N6vJDLpE   Free
download of his book http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/priority-one-contents.htm