[Market-farming] Treating Garlic Seed

Nan Hildreth NanHildreth at riseup.net
Thu Oct 7 12:03:50 EDT 2010

Dip the base of each bulb in alcohol just before planting says
Gourmet Garlic Gardens, a Texas seed supplier.

At 04:14 PM 10/6/2010, Ryan Wood-Beauchamp wrote:
>We experienced minor disease issues with our garlic this year:
>occasional fusarium rot and another disease that we couldn't
>identify that caused premature yellowing and dieback of the
>leaves.  We culled any obvious diseased garlic bulbs to avoid
>replanting them.  For the rest of our seedstock, we're curious if
>there are any seed treatments to treat seedbore sclerota or other
>disease organisms that might infect next year's patch.  I've read
>about a hot water treatment but I'd be concerned about killing the
>seed.  I've heard about a chlorine treatment and hydrogen peroxide
>treatment through word of mouth, but can't find any information to
>corroborate it.  Any ideas?
>
>Ryan Wood-Beauchamp
>Journey's End Farm
>Sterling, PA
>address and password):
>http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/market-farming

Nan Hildreth, Houston   713-842-6643
www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

Make Soil, End Global Warming

"We could end global warming if we restored the fertility in the
soils in the state of California."  Dr. Elaine Ingham, www.soilfoodweb.com

"...global warming can be reversed by restoring biodiversity in the
soils and in the ocean.  ... There is enough land to sequester this
carbon and it could be done in a decade or two. ... Now that the Oil
Age is coming to an end, we are entering the Soil  Age.
"  http://groups.google.com/group/soil-age

"... a 1.6% increase in organic content of soils humans manage would
restore atmospheric carbon dioxide levels to normal." says Allan
Yeomans in
http://www.youtube.com/user/AllanYeomans1#p/a/u/0/-o2N6vJDLpE Free
download of his book http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/priority-one-contents.htm