[Market-farming] Treating Garlic Seed

Ryan Wood-Beauchamp woodbeau at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:14:57 EDT 2010

We experienced minor disease issues with our garlic this year: occasional
fusarium rot and another disease that we couldn't identify that caused
premature yellowing and dieback of the leaves.  We culled any obvious
diseased garlic bulbs to avoid replanting them.  For the rest of our
seedstock, we're curious if there are any seed treatments to treat seedbore
sclerota or other disease organisms that might infect next year's patch.
I've read about a hot water treatment but I'd be concerned about killing the
seed.  I've heard about a chlorine treatment and hydrogen peroxide treatment
through word of mouth, but can't find any information to corroborate it.
Any ideas?

Ryan Wood-Beauchamp
Journey's End Farm
Sterling, PA