[Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems: now packaging and pricing

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 1 12:52:40 EDT 2010

On Oct 1, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Jay Sleichter wrote:

> I guess the reason I sell by the pound is I don't have the man power
> at my booth to keep refilling baskets and take money.

For a short time many years ago I took scales to market. Weighing
everything slowed me down so much I went back to selling by the pint,
quart, (etc) and each.

It probably didn't help that nobody else brings scales to these
markets, so the customers weren't used to it.

I sell heirloom tomatoes by the each (or the flat: 8 quart cardboard
carrier, single layer, which is how I pack most of the heirlooms for
market); cherry tomatoes (and tomatillos) by the pint or half pint;
paste tomatoes and non-heirloom slicing types by the quart, peck, or
half bushel. If a customer wants less than a quart, I go by the number
of that variety that mostly fits in a quart: those Big Beef had 4
tomatoes in the box @ 4.00 and you want one of them?  that's 1.00 each
(adjusted somewhat for size of the tomato.) Judging price on the
heirlooms by size is a little tricky and I suspect I'm sometimes
losing money on this, but the expense of the kind of scale that
wouldn't slow me down much would be considerable and time is
definitely a consideration as I'm often doing the market alone.