[Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems

Owsley lucy boulderbelt at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:16:43 EDT 2010

I remove all stems as I pick and instruct all other pickers to do the
same.

Jay, I sell by the quart box ($4 a box for 1.5 pounds) but will sell
by the pound for $3.50 a pound (yes that is a high price because I
really don't want to sell by the pound but do like to give the
customers that option). Tomato sales have been very slow this and I
am so glad I cut back on tomato production by 50% this year of I
would have had too many tomatoes.

> I always remove my stems because of the same reason.  I always do
> it when I am picking.  Several times this summer my wife was being
> helpful and went out and picked tomatoes to help get ready for
> market.  She didn't do this, because I didn't tell her to.  I had
> to go back through several hundred pounds and de-stem them all.  I
> also had to pull out the ones that were "poked".  Not what I was
> wanting to do at midnight before a 7 am market.
>
> I sell all my produce by the pound, so the tomatoes get handled
> alot.  Many vendors at my market put several pounds in a basket and
> sell them for a price. The customer doesn't get to choose.  They
> also can only buy what they offer.  I think I pick up more
> customers and sales because I am willing to sell smaller amounts
> (one or two tomatoes as opposed to 5-6 in a quart basket.
>
> How do you sell them, by the pound or by the basket.
>
> Jay

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://boulderbelt.blogspot.com
Find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/boulderbelt#!/pages/
Boulder-Belt-Eco-Farm/368403976315?ref=sgm