[Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Fri Oct 1 11:13:25 EDT 2010

 On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 07:57:44 -0700 (PDT), Jay Sleichter wrote:
> How do you sell them, by the pound or by the basket.

I sell everything by the piece. For tomatoes, this means mostly a price per tomato (slicers 75 cents, Juliets 4 for a dollar), and let my customers choose the ones they want. When the crop demands, I will segregate the very large and price higher, and box up two of the smaller for the same 75 cents. I also sell peppers, onions, garlic, zukes, cukes, and squashes by the piece. For broccoli, beans, snow peas, lettuce, etc, I bag and sell the bags at a set price. I do most of my (small-scale) business with an honor can at our unstaffed farmstand. I don't think I could do that if I sold by the pound, so I accept some lost marginal income as the trade-off for not staffing the stand.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/