[Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Fri Oct 1 10:11:25 EDT 2010

When I pick tomatoes, about half retain their stem. They look great, so I've been leaving them on, but this summer noticed that, as my customers sort through the pile at the stand, the stems are doing damage, poking the skins of their neighbors. Is there any harm in removing the stems that don't come off on their own during harvest?

By the way, I want to recommend Pink Beauty tomatoes. Productive, trouble free, and a perfect slicing tomato.

Thanks, Richard
where it is October 3, still no frost, and still pushing out tomatoes. "Zone 5" is so last century.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/