[Market-farming] Squash bug control

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Oct 31 19:09:55 EDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

>> I've found a lot of varietal difference in susceptibility to squash
>> bugs -- in particular, I've found buttercups and kabocha types (of
>> various varieties) to be much more susceptible to them than acorn,
>> delicata/sweet dumpling, and butternut types.
>
> I think that is an important distinction. Buttercups and Kabocha are
> members of the species Cucurbita maxima. Delicata are C. pepo and
> butternut are C. moschata. I've noticed the same preference. I see a
> tendency for cucumber beetles to have a similar preference, though not
> as profound. If squash bug pressure is high, you may want to reduce
> plantings of maxima types or utilize another strategy. In our region
> squash bugs don't emerge until mid-July most years. Perhaps row covers
> could be used for exclusion? I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure it's
> cost-effective, but it might be worth trying.
>
> By the way, most jack o'lantern pumpkins are C. pepo, like delicata
> squash and zucchini. Pumpkins like Big Max are C. maxima, and pumpkins
> like Buckskin and Dickinson Field pumpkin are C. moschata. That info
> can be useful in IPM practices.

Interesting. My pumpkins (which have not much been bothered by squash
bugs) have always been pie pumpkins;  I've grown New England Pie and
several others. --  Fedco says New England Pie is pepo, and so are
several others that I've grown. I may well not have grown any maxima
pumpkins, though I'm not sure.