[Market-farming] Squash bug control -- organic livestock

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Oct 31 17:04:49 EDT 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Wiener, Benjamin L CPT NG NG FORSCOM wrote:

> One of the reasons I will never be certified organic is the sheer
> stupidity of some of the rules.  If guinea fowl cannot be used because
> of the tiny ammount of droppings they would leave, then what do
> organic growers do to exclude wild birds that already deposit
> droppings in the field?  There is a huge difference in quantity
> between applying manure for fertility and using a natural method of
> bug control.  You can't even use manure from animals that recieve
> adequate veterinary care.  What a bunch of BS (pun intended).

I agree that some of the rules don't make lots of sense (especially
some of the ones imposed by the federal rule). But you not only can
"use manure from animals that receive adequate veterinary care",
organic livestock raisers are *required* to provide adequate veterinary
care. (Reference: USDA organic standards section 205.238.)

On the rare occasions when permitted methods (and there are quite a few
of them, including a number ordinarily administered by veterinarians)
are insufficient, the producer is required to treat the sick animal
even if it will therefore lose its organic status; but most livestock
never need such treatment, as they can be kept in good health without
it.

I also don't think that manure has to be from animals meeting
certification standards, though I think some certifiers want manure
from some sources to be checked for toxins; but I haven't had to check
this recently as I don't use raw manures.