[Market-farming] winter damage to greenhouses?

Erin Bullock erin.dandelion at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:19:09 EDT 2009

I have a 28'x48' gothic-roofed greenhouse in the Rochester, NY area...
and this is its first winter.  I am planning on going away for a few
months, and I remember some horror stories about greenhouse collapses,
etc.  -- do you all recommend taking the plastic off (it's pretty old
& needs to be replaced anyway) so there's no possibility of collapse
under snow load?  I do have quite a bit stored in the greenhouse
currently (I have no barn)... so I was wondering, if the gothic roof
did indeed shed snow pretty well, I might as well leave up the plastic
& keep some tools, bins, etc. inside.  Any thoughts or experiences to
share?  Thanks!
Erin