[Market-farming] questions about plugs

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 29 20:13:41 EDT 2009

Thanks for the heads up on that Allan. Turns out they're willing to
custom sow 128 cell trays, but still require 3 per variety, leaving me
in the same place I started.

To answer your question regarding soil for the 50's - I'm having to
use 'non organic' soil mix  from Sun-grow. I use the #2 mix because it
does not have a fertilizer charge. We are not certified organic and
have told our customers that sourcing an organic mix locally has been
difficult. I could do it if I could commit to buying a pallet full but
then there is a shelf life on the wetting agent in those mixes, so
that doesn't work. One of my winter tasks is working out a formula for
mixing up our own seed starting mix.

As to feeding the 50's, I switched to a constant feed program similar
to what is done in larger greenhouses. Really should be called
something of a 2/5 feed, feed 2 x week, just water the rest of the
time. I feed trays still under shelter 50 ppm N each time they're fed
and outside trays 100 ppm N.  It's been working very well for us. And
in fact, corrected some nutrition problems I was seeing. I'm using
water soluble fertilizers like fish emulsions, seaweed, etc.

Kim