[Market-farming] Ohio market farmer cited for washing raw produce

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Oct 29 15:16:42 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Marie Kamphefner wrote:

>> Earlier this week it was brought to our attention that a vendor in
>> Lake County [OHIO] was cited by the local board of health for selling
>> “washed” vegetables and greens. The local health department official
>> was enforcing a new interpretation of food safety rules that assumed
>> washing greens with water was “food processing” and a farmer who was
>> not a licensed “processor” washing them was making an “adulterated”
>> (unsafe) product.

Was he selling them as "washed ready to eat"?

Or was it just that he had rinsed them off to get the field dirt off?

It's my understanding that those are two different categories and that
for "washed ready to eat" you may indeed need a food processing
license, at least in New York State. If you've just washed them to get
the field dirt off, but are not telling the customer it doesn't have to
be washed again when they get it home, that's different. It sounds as
if the inspector may have gotten carried away and confused "washed
ready to eat" with "rinsed the mud off". -- at any rate, I hope it's
just that inspector!

When customers ask if the produce is washed, I always say "New York
State tells me that I have to tell you to wash everything! We just
rinsed it quickly to get the mud/dust off. "

As far as the water goes: certified organic growers are required to use
for produce wash water only sources that pass an annual potable water
test. As far as I know, there's no such requirement for conventional
growers; but it's not a bad idea to get one. Many people have no idea
that their household or farm wells are contaminated; their own systems
are used to the bacteria that's in there, so they don't get sick
themselves, and assume that the water is fine.