[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

Garth & Kim Travis gartht at txcyber.com
Tue Oct 27 15:12:13 EDT 2009

Greetings,
We are in Texas, we grow heirloom veggies for the market, but also
sheep, cattle, rabbits, turkeys and chickens.  I am zone 8B, so we grow
veggies year round, but not in the same beds.

My summer garden is tomatoes, about 20 varieties; melons,  about 6
varieities; cucumber about 4 varieties; Peppers, mostly sweet usually 4
varieties with one hot one just because.  While we have started to clear
these beds, since the cucumbers and melons are now done for the season,
the tomatoes are still producing as are the peppers.  Thus I use
different beds for winter crops that went in a month ago.

We solarize our beds from 2 to 4 weeks depending on how much sun I get.
We have found it really helps keep down the pests and disease problems.
I grow tomatoes in the same beds year after year.  We rake the top
couple of inches to find the cocoons of the horned worms, my greatest
enemy.  We have found that skipping this step gives us real problems the
following year.

Our summer and winter gardens are about 200' apart.  The winter gardens
are just being started and still need lots of work.  We are just
starting to grow winter stuff, as we decided to learn one season at a
time.  We both learned to garden in zone 2, so a big difference from our
childhood memories.

Bright Blessings,
Kim