[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Tue Oct 27 14:21:42 EDT 2009

Tom

You are correct.  However, the production of charcoal at best has
always been a fairly dirty process.

If we are talking about Biochar then we are talking about a much
cleaner process.  It is something I am looking into as an option of
rebuilding the soil quality of a 45 acre dry gravel pit site.

I am way over simplifying the whole thing of course and will admit
that I do not have a firm grasp on the entire thing myself.  I can
only say it looks promising especially as commercial units come on
line that can produce hundreds of pounds of char in hours, ready to use.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855