[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

TMcD tmcd49740 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 13:26:12 EDT 2009

--- On Mon, 10/26/09, waldenfarm <waldenfarm at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Also, burning wood for charcoal just to add to the soil
> adds depletes resources and adds more CO2 to the air.

If you will excuse a newcomer to the list for piping up on his first day, I think you may be mistaken about this.  To make charcoal, wood is heated in the *absence of oxygen*, producing methanol and a host of other compounds.  Without oxygen, I don't believe CO2 would be produced in any worrisome quantity.

Tom