[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

Garth & Kim Travis gartht at txcyber.com
Mon Oct 26 11:41:04 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I do make a living with my no till gardens, but we are primarily tomato
farmers so yes, I do use raised beds like a home gardener.  The cost of
setting up my beds was high, but I wouldn't be in business with anything
else.  Raised beds will allow my garden to survive 45" of rain in 45
days or the hottest, driest summer on record.  I have been through both
with my beds.

My tomatoes are the most expensive in the market and they fly off the
table.  People can taste the nutrition in them.  We use rabbit manure on
the beds every fall, after the first frost.  Then solarize, then put the
landscape fabric and mulch back on the beds.  They are sitting ready to
plant when the time comes, regardless of what the weather is doing.

My winter crop beds are not no till, but that is about to be changed.  I
can't get them planted this year. I have heavy clay soil, so tilling
when wet is a good way to make adobe.  This year, I haven't been able to
till or plant for the last 6 weeks.  Every time I get almost dry enough,
it rains, again.  The real beauty of the no till garden to me is that
the rain doesn't mess up my planting schedule.

Bright Blessings,
Kim