[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Mon Oct 26 10:22:57 EDT 2009

Alex

I like the way you arrange your words. What you say makes sense about
mulch not stopping the CO2 loss from tilling since the Oxygen has
already been introduced under the surface. It would just percolate up
through it. I doubt that my fork digging sweet potatoes introduces as
much O2 as the spinning tines of a tiller.

I too want to know as much as i can about mineral and biological
balance in the soil. It's the micro-guys that grow the plants, not
me. I think that it's less work too if you know your stuff. Wish i
knew more.

Have you ever considered introducing biochar or tera prita into your
soil. I am looking at it now but not ready to act yet. I would like
to slow climate change.

Marty
Kansas City