[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

waldenfarm waldenfarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 26 08:03:02 EDT 2009

Don't know of any graphs- probably because carbon loss after tillage differs
because of different tillage methods, depth, bioactivity of the soil... But
there is carbon loss after all tillage. Tillage incorporates relatively
oxygen rich atmospheric air into the soil. This causes a population
explosion in the soil biology and carbon compounds get processed at a faster
rate than in untilled soil. The end product of carbon compound processing
for food is carbon dioxide a gas.

Simplified, carbon compounds are processed by the soil biology and at the
end of this chain it is converted to carbon dioxide, a gas. The CO2 in the
soil readily leaves the soil through a number of mechanisms- gas dispersion,
heating and cooling of soil, displacement of soil gases by water, etc.

As for your second question, mulching will not prevent carbon loss. Mulching
has other benefits I'm sure you're aware of- preventing soil crusting.
suppressing weeds, retaining soil moisture, slowing soil heat/cool cycle,
reduce erosion, food at the surface for the soil ecosystem.

I also practice no till gardening- double dug beds one time 24 years ago and
only do surface cultivation. And I've grown sweet potatoes in beds- it hurts
me to tear up the beautiful soil structure diggin' taters, but they sure
taste good! The only thing I know of to heal the soil (rebuild structure and
replace lost carbon) is to add finished compost at or near the soil surface
and plant or transplant a cool weather crop that will overwinter. Then
adding mulch would help protect the soil from crusting and erosion until the
soil biology can rebuild a stable structure.

I hope I haven't gotten too technical, but my thinking is that I have to
know as much as I can about the soil and soil biologic processes to be able
to manage it.

Enjoy those taters!

Alex McGregor
Walden Ridge, TN