[Market-farming] Onions

sora at coldreams.com sora at coldreams.com
Sun Oct 25 16:23:23 EDT 2009

Many thanks to all for the great discussion on onions!   Much to think
about and incorporate...
I think part of the problem was the day length issue.
Many times I planted sets purchased at the local ag store....they would
grow great to a point and then just seem to stop growing.  I'm at 49
degrees lat. and at the solstice we get 17 hours of sunlight.
I've got sandy loam that drains almost too well and have everything on
drip lines...the onions often would be too soggy and the skins would be
rotten.  I put them in a different spot this year and kept them drier and
seemed to solve this problem but they were still small.
What are your preferences for long day varieties?
                                 Sora almost done with garden clean up
                                     moving
                                       onwards to firewood.....