[Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Sat Oct 24 11:48:10 EDT 2009

Does anyone know of any graphs or other data showing the rate of
carbon loss after tilling? After i till a bed how quickly should it
be covered by mulch to prevent carbon loss? I am practicing no-till
gardening and i just dug two beds of sweet potatoes which is a lot
like tilling. It's raining and i haven't mulched yet. I'll cover the
soil when i can but this is a question that often arises. Does anyone
know of a rule of thumb for this question?

Where might i get this info?

Marty Kraft, Kansas City