[Market-farming] Onions

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Sat Oct 24 11:19:25 EDT 2009

Pam Twin Oaks wrote:
> Sets are a way of getting an early start (or rather, paying someone
> else to get an early start for you), but they do have an inbuilt
> disadvantage - they can have a high rate of bolting. This is because
> onions are biennial, and sets are in their second year when you plant
> them. Big ones are more likely to bolt than small ones, so choose
> smaller if buying sets.

How does one grows it's own onion set?  So you sow them in the second
half of the season, then harvest them in the fall?  Or do you simply use
the smaller bulb from your regular harvest?

Using sets sounds like a good idea for growers in location with very
short season (my farm will be in zone 4, 48'N).  However, cutting the
expense of buying them would be best, where possible.  I searched Google
for info on growing onion sets, could not find anything.

Cheers,

Etienne