[Market-farming] Monsanto nightmare

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Wed Oct 21 07:35:17 EDT 2009

We hosted Rob Johnston, founder of Johnny's on my biodynamic food and
farming discussion group a few weeks back.

I didn't find spending time with him to be a very pleasant
experience. Most definitely not 'one of the guys.'

He defended the Monsanto seeds that they sell as "such an
insignificant portion of Monsantos income as to be insignificant"
(this is my words) Of course, that's the basis of boycott, to dry up
ALL the little streams until the river of money starts to run dry.

I do agree, though, that if we boycott non-GMO varieties we are
boycotting the work of conventional plant breeders, people who
actually deserve our support for what really is fine and, frankly too
rare, work.

It's a sticky wicket, ain't it?

-Allan in WV