[Market-farming] onions

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Wed Oct 21 07:19:52 EDT 2009

I should have mentioned this, also.

The TX onion place is not organic but has started consulting for
organic growers. For this reason, I'm not sure that their world view
is accurate, but they were really focused on fungal problems while
raising onions.

The consultant recommended that I spray with fish emulsion once a
week and coat the tops of each plant heavily. This was not for N but
because the fish oils, he said, act as a prophylaxix against fungus
gaining a hold in the skin of the onion tops.

I have all sorts of confusion about the use of N on bulbing plants
(fearing that it would promote top growth at the expense of bulb
growth), so I never got around to following his instructions, but
since I do have far more fungal problems in this Mid-Atlantic high
humidity, cold nights growing situation, I would ask if anyone else
has found that 'fish oil coating' helps reduce fungal problems in
your crops.

Thanks

-Allan in WV