[Market-farming] onions

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Tue Oct 20 22:26:32 EDT 2009

I had a long and informative talk with the hort guy at the TX onion
start place that we order from (I'd tell you their name if I knew it
off the top of my head!) One thing he emphasized over and over was DO
NOT WATER ONIONS until the soil is dry about 2 inches deep. We have a
lot of 'rot' of onions here, so I cut back on irrigation to almost
nothing and the onions were REALLLY good this season. We try to
harvest them as 'spring' onions. We did have a lot of early bolting,
I think due to late cold weather and then a super heat snap

-Allan in WV