[Market-farming] pear prices?

Wyatt Jones wyatt_jones at netzero.com
Fri Oct 16 17:45:14 EDT 2009

I sold my pears for $1.50/lb and sold pretty much all I had except the ones I saved to make several kinds of pear jam.  A lot of people had apples but I was the only one with pears at the markets I where I sold them.  The Crystallized Ginger pear jam was about the best I've had by the way.  I have Bartlett and Comice pears if that makes any difference.  I don't know if that is the normal price for pears but it seemed reasonable and nobody complained.  Haven't been able to sell much jam though and I'm told I'm selling it too cheap ($4.50 an 8 oz jar) so I stopped bringing that to market.  I guess I need to put out samples but until recently I didn't have enough room to show all my produce and put out any.  I like it well enough to eat it all myself but I have a lot of it.

Wyatt Jones
Jamestown Ohio