[Market-farming] parsnips

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:40:03 EDT 2009

When's the latest that folks start parsnips?

The latest I've done is June 15, when I lived in Missouri; that gave them 120 days before first frost October 15.  But with parsnips' super cold-hardiness, I'm thinking I might be able to plant as late as July 15, and still have them size up in time by December.

Usually I've planted them earlier, to get them out of the way before all the warm-season crops go in.  But an advantage with planting them later would be that they germinate faster in warm weather, and also not having to take care of the crop for a few extra months. There's that labor lull in early July between the main summer planting and waiting for the big summer harvests to start, and it might make sense to put in a crop then.

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central VA