[Market-farming] Getting tomatoes to ripen in October

jay sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 22:41:32 EDT 2009

We have 3 weeks left of our Farmers Market season.  We had a killing freeze last weekend, everything in my high tunnel came through the cold just fine.  I am picking a good quantity of cherry tomatoes.  The problem is my big tomatoes aren't turning.  I have tons of tomatoes that are full sized.  I am afraid that we aren't going to have enough sun to get the needed heat to make them ripen to red.  I have been picking anything that is starting to blush and bring them inside to finish ripening.

Is there anything I can do to hasten the ripening.  I really don't want to pick them when they are green and see if the will turn.   I think I am just out of luck and I will get what I get.

Jay