[Market-farming] New to the list

Lynn Wiblin slwib at gtcinternet.com
Mon Oct 12 11:53:03 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am new to the list-and per instructions, am introducing myself.

I have a small farm(15 acres) in Southeastern Ohio-pretty much(10 miles from) on the Ohio River. Have had a multitude of experience in my past lives-(I have been a factory worker, heavy equipment operator and a computer programmer!)- and after recently being laid off due to the economy, am trying my hand at farming fulltime.

My parents grew Christmas trees on  their farm on a parttime basis,so I have that in my background also.

With the help of a mentor who had retired from the perennial plant business, I planted and grew approx. 1500 mums for wholesale and retail sales this fall. Also selling at the local farm market in Marietta, Ohio.
So I"m closing in on the end of that.

Also going to erect a high tunnel and greenhouse(used that I bought from above mentioned mentor) to grow out of season crops, and planting 1/2 acre of garlic now for next year. I'm interested in growing other field crops for niche markets.

I heard about this list through the high tunnel list serv sponsored by Kansas state university-one of the members mentioned this listtserv as a good information source.

thanks in advance for your help and information!
Lynn Wiblin
Growing Traditions at Legacy Grace Farm
8529 Veto Road
Belpre, Ohio 45714