[Market-farming] Anyone have a cheap way to protect round bales left in the great outdoors?

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Mon Oct 12 10:05:58 EDT 2009

This is always a problem with us.  Even tarping on pallets does no
good after half a season in the elements.  So, we leave space in one
of our metal barns.  Even under cover of they are not elevated you
will get mold.  We have the luxury of being able to sotre about 10K
50lb bales of hay but usually never store more than half that and use
the rest of the space for round bales that are cured.

That said, if you place an individual round bale by itself on a
pallet, you'll lose maybe 10% of the exterior roll (even if it does
not rot the nutritional quality degrades under sun and rain exposure).

The best cheapest way to store them is individually off the ground
with a not wicking item, like plastic cargo skids.

Or purchase wrapped (which is the ultimate cheapest way to do it).

Richard Stewart
rstewart at zoomtown.com