[Market-farming] new here, short intoduction

BarbaraJ jbmckillip at mesanetworks.net
Thu Oct 8 09:55:52 EDT 2009

Hello, I just joined the group and was asked for a short intro, so here it is.  I'm a middle aged woman, long time home gardener and I started growing for market this past year.  I live on five acres and we're zoned to water an acre.  I put up a 26x48' FarmTek high tunnel ( and boy is that a story for another day, what an adventure that has been).  I live in a rather extreme climate on the highest part of the great plains just east of the front range of Colorado at over 7100'.  As I am one person, and my husband has an actual j-o-b, my 12 yo son and I do all the work, so we keep it to under an acre of growing.  This past year we did small crops like salad greens, etc.  and did a local farmer's market.  It was loads of fun, and we did actually come near to paying for the high tunnel, which was the goal.  This next year we plan to try a larger market and want to offer heirloom tomatoes and peppers from the high tunnel in addition to our regular small crops.  I am hoping that there are some unheated greenhouse growers here, since I can see that managing the watering and humidity should be interesting, especially for me, since it is such a dry climate here usually.
I look forward to all the collective wisdom that is contained here!

Barb