[Market-farming] Irrigation Quesion

Citheronia at aol.com Citheronia at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 00:36:38 EDT 2009

Hi all!

I am relatively new to this forum....learned a lot and this is my first
post. We currently own some orchard land and raise poultry, but we're hopefully
getting into vegetables next year with a 5 acre plot we recently acquired.

Here is my situation: our 5 acre plot is approximately 300x 700 deep. There
is no municpal water supply at the road and no other water source such as a
creek, pond, or existing well. I am curious as to your thoughts for an
irrigation source. Do you typically drill a well or wells with pump houses, or
is there another method that y'all use. If you are using wells, is it more
economically viable to run electricity to the pump houses and have the
irrigation on timers, or would gasoline powered pumps run for an hour or two be
better?

I apologize if this has been discussed in the past. I've searched the
internet and practically everything that I've read assumes you already have a
water source. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Randy Lyttle
North Rose, NY
Citheronia at aol.com