[Market-farming] Row cover and Mature Tomato plants

Shelly shelly at idlethyme.com
Thu Oct 8 19:14:32 EDT 2009

Jay,
I have had excellent results in Wyoming making mini plastic tunnels
inside the big tunnel. This keeps them warm down to the 20's. On very
cold nights I blow a small heater into one end of the mini-tunnel and
this keeps them down into the teens. True, some of the leaves are
damaged and the plants really begin to look bad after a bit but this
has extended the harvest as far as thanksgiving in many years.
Production goes down significantly and on warm days the inner plastic
has to be pulled up so they do not overheat. Depends on if the extra
work is worth the small amount of production extension.
Shelly Montgomery
Idle Thyme Farm
Carpenter, WY