[Market-farming] Flame weeding Salad production systems

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Wed Oct 7 19:38:32 EDT 2009

Don't bother to put the hoops up until you have greens under them. Just lay
the row cover, or better yet clear plastic, on the ground.

If you use a single nozzle flamer, backpack or mounted on a small cart, you
won't have to take the hoops down to flame - just walk and wave.

I have both the Johnny's seeder and the greens harvester and don't use
either one. The seeder is VERY heavy and awkward unless you are doing 6 rows
of the same thing for quite a while. I have trouble with sand building up
between the rollers unless it is quite wet. DH says I was tightening the
axle too tight may be why even if I got the belt to keep doing its thing the
axle would stop rotating, hence no seeds. I am too clutsy with the greens
harvester to get the greens dumped into a Rubbermaid or bucket without
spilling.

I have gone back to the Earthway seeder, though it seed too thickly (may
block some holes on a plate next year if I don't' get a Planet Jr. or Yang)
and the Victorinox knife that Johnny's sells.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com <http://rhomestead.com/>

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe

  _____