[Market-farming] Flame weeding Salad production systems

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Wed Oct 7 21:18:45 EDT 2009

 On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:07:36 -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:
>> -Finially harverst with the
>> <http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=292&subcategory=628&it
>> em=9334)>jonneys greens harvester
>>

> Unless you are proficient at sharpening 36inch serrated blades on the
> fly, I'd suggest that you spend some time with one of these before
> you buy one. Better than that, I'd suggest that you buy mine from me
> because heaven knows I haven't used mine after I found out that you
> can damage more micro lettuce in an instant with one of these than I
> ever dreamed was possible before I saw it happen!
> -Allan in WV, who still holds Eliot in the highest esteem.

The problems people have described with these (I haven't used one) make me wonder whether an electric hedge trimmer might be adapted to serve this purpose. The sicklebar action should be just what's needed, and the powered cut should allow you to go smoothly and cleanly through the bed. You'd need to attach a basket of some kind to catch the greens.

Has anyone seen such a thing, or tried to make it work on their own?

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/