[Market-farming] Flame weeding Salad production systems

Chris Corbin corbincdc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:29:52 EDT 2009

Hello,
I am trying to get my production systems down for our salad mix next
spring.  Below are the methods I intend to use please let me know what you
think.

I am going to start the season out early with some low tunnel two row quick
hoops.

-Put low tunnel hoops up to warm up the soil.
-Take down low tunnel hoops to till the soil.
-Put the hoops back up for sterile seed bed wait two weeks.
-Take hoops down and flame weed the beds with a 4 nozzle flame weeder -
http://www.rtol.net/jonathanmeyer/flameweeder/toppage4.htm
(DOES Anyone know where I can get a cheaper 4 nozzle flame weeder? or plans
to build one?)
-Plant salad mix verities, water and cover with low tunnel quick hoops.
-Move low tunnels to next plot for moisture control when salad mix can
survive outside*

 *Note - The last two springs have been very wet and I have not been able to
get into the field for salad planting.  The inclusion of low tunnel hoops
would allow me to regulate the moisture in the soil and thus allow for more
consistent supply to restaurants and markets.

--
Chris Corbin
Onion Creek Farm Ames Iowa(Zone 5)