[Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations

deberryemail-website at yahoo.com deberryemail-website at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 05:23:35 EDT 2009

If you use ice on leafy greens it should be 32F ice like it is right out of an Ice maker.  If the ice has been in a freezer it is probably between -20 and 0F which will burn many lettuces and swiss chard.

I use ice on top of lettuce after washing and cooling.  If you put the ice in water for a few minutes it will come up to 32F and then should be okay to use.

Some lettuces are more sensitive to the cold and physical dammage by the ice.

Charles DeBerry
DeBerry Farm