[Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix Regulations

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 13:52:20 EDT 2009

Tom we always cool our mixes as soon as it is cut with cold water, and I
usually let it set in cold water for an hour or two before I start spin
drying, then we don't pack in very large quantity so when we are at the  market
not more than 5# is exposed to the air and the rest is in cooler's in the
shade.  In really hot weather we pack the coolers with ice, we have our own
ice maker, so a couple of scoops of ice on top of the mix in bags coming out
of  the walk-in will hold all day without any problem.  Just never had any
problems with it getting wilty even on the hottest of days.  We do the same
 with swiss chard, and I always try to keep it wet at the markets, if it
starts  to look wilty  I put it back in water and get out some fresh out of
the  cooler.  We have a upright freezer in the van we market in and I always
keep a few trays of ice just for emergencys.

Phil