[Market-farming] cherry tomato favorites

Daniel Botkin dbotkin at valinet.com
Sat Nov 28 23:52:37 EST 2009

Fellow tomato lovers,

Don't often chime in here... but the cherry tomato thang is like a religion
around here. We're in chilly New England (MA). We ditto strong votes for
black cherry, green grape and Isis candy, both large, exotic, plum-like
fruits with sweetness, unusual colors + complex flavor! but alas, like many,
prone to cracking - so we mostly do them as huge "trees" in the premium
hoophouse -- where they continue to fruit nicely to this day!

Having said that (and me being quite an heirloom fanatic) I must also state
that in my experience, culture usually trumps variety. So, even as much as I
love trafficking in all the amazing heirloom varieties, I'd still rather
have a well grown (compost, etc) hybrid than a gnarly, neglected heritage
fruit.

Daniel Botkin
www.laughingdogfarm.com