[Market-farming] High Tunnel Winter Growing

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 26 01:10:49 EST 2009

The horse manure fired seedling incubator was a standard component of
Steve Moore's passive solar greenhouse design back when he taught in
and around York, PA

Essentially, in January of each year he would 'stack' a 3sided cinder
block trough along some portion of the north wall of the greenhouse.
The curved wall would get a layer of insulation board, the short
sides were perpendicular to the rear wall. dimensions were usually
4x8 to accommodate a sheet of 3/4 ply as the lid. I think these
containers were usually about 3 runs of blocks. You filled the
container with horse manure and straw in January so that it w.b.
cooking quite well by mid-February when you are ready to start
working with brassica seedlings in the greenhouse (seedlings that get
below 40 degrees in Feb/March are prone to produce plants that will
bolt by June) Heat is controlled by using spacers under the seedling
trays. There is a 3/4 plywood lid for the box. By April the horse
manure would be out of heat and quite 'reduced' and absolutely
perfect for planting cucumbers into. No spring mucking is ever
required. (Yes, early on the ammonia (from horse urine)  smell can be
overwhelming but I do not know of this every causing 'harm.')

On manures and salts: it is my understanding that this is not a
problem in biologically active beds and is only a problem in
conventional agriculture. We haven't seen a salt build up in our
house, which is in its 7th season. I'm wondering if you other
biological growers have actually had salt build up problems or have
simply been warned about them by conventional extension agents, etc?

-Allan in WV who wonders about these other guys writing from WV