[Market-farming] Recommendation for pH tester and soil block maker

Tom@TomsGardens tmcd49740 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 19:01:38 EST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer at outlands.ca> wrote:

> First, I was considering to buy an electronic pH meter.  Johnny's has
> one made by Hanna for 100$.  I am hoping to get more accurate reading
> results than strip test kit, and save in the long run.  Are there
> anybody who own such a meter, and can comment on accuracy, durability
> and ease-of-use?  Any recommendation?

If you are going to buy a pH meter, you might do well to check science supply houses where you will likely find a better price.  For example, The Lab Depot is selling a Hanna pocket pH meter for $71.96 right now.  The Cynmar Corporation is another supplier of reasonably priced scientific equipment.  Hanna also makes a less expensive series called Checker meters that sell in the thirty dollar range, and can also be calibrated.  My guess is that they would be accurate enough for soil work and I am ordering one for myself.

I've used these in my high school chemistry classes and they are very easy to use.  Be sure to buy a bottle of 7.00 buffer solution (and maybe a 4.01 too) so you can calibrate the meter and get accurate results.  Check out the link below for a method to follow in testing the pH of your soil.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/publication.asp?pid=FS767

Tom